This skillet chicken and gravy is a one pan, buttery, moist, full of flavor chicken, slathered in a delicious gravy to make the perfect comfort meal.
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cloves of garlic (approx. 4 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1–2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dice garlic cloves and set aside. You should have approximately 4 teaspoons.
- Add salt, pepper, onion powder and parsley to a plate and mix until combined. Set aside.
- If using whole chicken breasts, chop chicken into desired chunks, about 2-3 ounces. Or if you have chicken breasts already cut to tenders sizes, those work great too.
- Add the chopped chicken to the plate of seasoning and mix to coat.
- Heat ghee in cast iron skillet on medium high, add seasoned chicken and top chicken with chopped garlic.
- Brown each side of chicken for about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour lemon juice and broth mixture into skillet.
- Bake uncovered for 10-13 minutes or until a meat thermometer inside chicken reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once cooked, remove skillet of chicken from oven and place back onto stove top. Turn the skillet on medium heat. The liquid should start to boil pretty quickly.
- Scoop approximately 1 tablespoon of boiling liquid out and place into a heat safe container and top with arrowroot starch. Whisk mixture quickly until dissolved to make a slurry.
- Pour broth/arrowroot mixture into liquid chicken in skillet and stir well to combine.
- If the gravy still isn’t thick enough, make another slurry using 1 tablespoon hot liquid mixed with 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch and stir back into mixture.
- Turn heat off and let sit approximately 5 minutes to thicken.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stove top / oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 293
- Sugar: 0.4g
- Sodium: 695mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrates: 6.2g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 40.9g
- Cholesterol: 139.4mg
Keywords: chicken and gravy, paleo chicken and gravy, skillet chicken