Fast and easy paleo chicken tacos
- 1–1.5 pounds chicken breast (thawed or frozen)
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning*
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes**
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 large yellow onion
Your favorite fixings
- Lettuce or cabbage to hold the tacos
- hot sauce
- paleo sour cream
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes to the Instant Pot and turn the Instant Pot on the Saute function. This isn’t an essential step, but will help heat the pot so it reaches pressure a little faster.
- Add remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, turn the Instant Pot off, close the vent so it’s sealed.
- Using the Manual function, add 40 minutes and let everything cook for 40 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, do a quick release on the valve to release all the pressure.
- Once pressure is released, open the pot and chop/shred chicken using a fork. You can also pull it out and chop it on a plate. Don’t worry if it looks like a weird blob that isn’t coated in flavor at this point. Just chop and stir.
- If chicken was removed from the Instant Pot, replace it, stir the chicken so it’s all coated in the liquid, put the lid back on, close the valve and using the Manual function, set it for five more minutes. It should reach pressure quickly at this point.
- Use the quick release or let the pressure release naturally. Give it one more stir and enjoy!
*I generally make a big batch of this taco seasoning (this recipe, when making ten servings, comes to 3 tablespoons needed for this recipe) and store in a mason jar. You can also use your favorite taco seasoning packet. Just make sure it only includes the spices (no sugar or thickeners) for paleo.
**If your diced tomatoes don’t include salt in the ingredients, you may need another 1/2-1 teaspoon of salt. This will also depend on your chicken broth and seasoning. If it tastes a little bland when it’s cooked, add salt. Best not to over salt since you can always add more.
Replace the can of chilies with a jalapeno for spicy tacos.
I use this recipe for paleo sour cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0